Rotary Club Pune Gandhibhavan
Rotary Club Pune of Gandhibhavan formally came into existence in the year 2000 when the club received the charter as a member of the Rotary International on 20th September 2000.
The club meets every Tuesday at Gandhibhavan, Kothrud, Pune from 7.30 pm to 9.00 pm.
Members: Respected and high profile residents of Kothrud and Sahajanand area are the members of the club and the present strength is 59. The club is proud to have members from various walks of life as engineers, medical professionals, architects, civil engineers, manufacturers, mechanical engineers, military professionals, lawyers, bankers, media persons etc.
Major Projects – In the true Rotary spirit of ‘service above self’ the club has executed many projects in the last 8 years. It was the policy of the club to undertake projects depending on the need of the society and in the vicinity of Gandhibhavan. The projects were done in all avenues identified by Rotary International, namely community service, vocational service and international service.
Some prominent projects are listed here – (the list is only indicative and not exhaustive)
Ganesh Visarjan – Our club has pioneered this activity and ensured that the Ganesh immersion is carried out in an eco-friendly way as this is an area of a major concern for the city. A temporary pond / immersion facility is setup and separate arrangement for disposal of ‘Nirmalya’ is also made. All club members participate enthusiastically. The response from the residents in the vicinity of Gandhibhavan is tremendous for this project and every year immersion of more than 4000 Ganesh idols take place at this facility.
Legal Literacy Programs –
- Cyber Security and Law awareness program conducted in 10 colleges in Pune viz, Fergusson, SNDT, SP, BMCC , etc in year 2011. Pune Police entered into an MOU with the club to support the activity. Booklets and posters to create awareness were distributed . The inaugural program was presided over by the Police Commissioner Dr Satyapal Singh and all other programs were graced by top police officers.
- Cyber Law awareness program was conducted in year 2002. It was presided over by Dr. Deepak Shikarpur.
- Cyber Law awareness program was conducted in the year 2004. It was presided over by Police Commissioner Jayant Umranikar.
- “Sahajeevan Fulawa” an awareness program arranged with the help of family court, counselors and judges addressing the problems of marital discord and divorce.
- “Single Parenting” an awareness program arranged with the help of family court, counselors and judges addressing the problems of single parents.
- “Divorces in IT field – is live-in relationship an alternative ?” an awareness program arranged with the help of family court, counselors and judges addressing the current problems of marital discord and divorce.
- “Domestic Violence” an awareness program arranged with the help of ILS Law College and family court to discuss the new legislation on prevention of Domestic Violence. DIG Meera Borwankar presided over the discussion.
Education Program – Five girls from slum area were sponsored for nursing course by our own five members at Cipla Cancer Palliative Care Centre. This has given employment in five girls in from the underprivileged section of society. Even the District Governor of Rotary District 3131 sponsored two more girls in 2003-2004 from the District funds.
Matching Grant Projects- The club has donated a well equipped van to Cipla Cancer Palliative Care Centre for check up of cancer patients in rural area in year. The project cost was 17000 USD. In the year 2008 an ambulance for neo-natal care was donated.
Vocational Excellence Awards - In the last 8 years the Vocational Excellence Awards were given to many distinguished persons in society namely Dr. Vaijayanti Joshi, Principal ILS Law College, Shri. Datta Marulkar, Dr.Jayant Mule, Smt. Sandhya Kotbagi , Dr. Anuradha Sahastrabuddhe, Shri. R.K.Shrivastava , Dr. V.M. Bhachal, Shri. Vijay Umranikar, Shri. Suresh Deshpande, Dr. Hemant Apte, Mrs.Anuradha Marathe, Shri Arvind Dandawate and Shri. Raju Dabhade, to name a few.
Elocution Competition - Rotary International announces a theme for every Rotary year which reflects the values for which Rotary stands for. Some themes from the last few years are ‘Lend a Hand’, ‘Sow the seed of Love’, ‘Mankind is our Business’ etc. The Club announces an elocution competition on the RI theme every year for school children and gets an enthusiastic response. The competition is judged by eminent personalities from society.
Ø Polio plus where in on every National Immunisation Day about 400 or more children are vaccinated.
Ø Oral cancer detection camp and lecture to police personnel at Kothrud Police Station.
Ø Dental check – up for children and senior citizens.
Ø Projects for the handicapped and mentally challenged children at “Kamayani” by organizing eye check – up camp, Drawing Competition “ etc.
Ø Blood donation camps
Ø Health check up for school children
A signature activity of Rotary that promotes Rotary values amongst youngsters. Club Rotaract is formed at Suryadatta Management Institute.
Ø Lecture on personality development for police officers of the rank of ACP and DCP by well-known personality development trainer Minocher Patel
Ø Personality Competition (“Mrs. Rotary”) for lady Rotarians / Anns presided over by Aruna Katara , Chairman I2IT.
Ø Distribution of 10000 traffic stickers of I OBEY TRAFFIC RULES and putting up of 600 sign posts for traffic department, Pune with sponsorship from Reliance.
Donations made to the RCPGB Charitable Trust to support the community service projects as described above are exempt from tax. If you wish to contribute, please draw a cheque favouring “Rotary Club Gandhibhavan Charitable Trust”.